Hi, guys. I’m sorry I haven’t been writing much lately. I’m finishing my undergrad school and my final is going on, and I’m just caught up with that.
I was meaning to write this post last night, but I was so tired from all the design work I’ve been doing on Photoshop, and so, I went to sleep. Anyway. I think this is an important issue because it affects us in a bad way. It’s something that almost EVERY girl goes through. At least, where I live. In Pakistan, that is. Pakistani society still needs some time to evolve and modernize. They’re still very narrow-minded and they seriously need to get out of the cave they have holed themselves up in.
Okay. So, basically these are a bunch of stereotypes that my idiot of a society and most of my family believes in. And believe it or not, this kind of stuff is ACTUALLY said. A lot of times. I’ve heard my mom, grandmothers, aunts, relatives, family, all repeating this one time or another. And reading this, you’ll see how ABSURD their arguments really are.
- If a girl is wearing jeans and a T-shirt: She is spoilt and immoral, totally has deviated from Islam.
- If a boy is wearing jeans and a T-shirt: It’s okay, because he’s a guy. What else would he wear, right?
- If a girl is smoking a cigarette: She has a very bad character, totally immoral. God knows what else she does. Her family is not nice, she doesn’t know the values of a “good Pakistani girl.”
- If a boy is smoking a cigarette: It’s okay, because he’s a guy. What else would he do, right?
- If a girl is naturally born with tan skin: Oh God, how will she ever get married. Who would ever want a kaali (black) wife and daughter-in-law? Bleach her face, bleach her face!
- If a boy is naturally born with tan skin: It’s okay, because he’s a guy. And guys who are tan are hot and handsome, right?
- If a girl is friends with the members of the opposite sex: She is immoral, and has no sense of values. She is also a slut and a whore. She totally sleeps around. God knows she must have had a million babies by now. Tut tut tut.
- If a guy is friends with the members of the opposite sex: It’s okay, because he’s a guy. Guys have to bold, right? And interaction will only make them gain more confidence because they have to get out in the real world one day.
- If a girl wants to hang out with friends at the mall or the movies: What will the people think if they see you with boys? Rumors will start spreading around and you will never get any good marriage proposals. Stay home, and help out with the chores. No need for you to go out.
- If a boy wants to hang out with friends at the mall or the movies: It’s okay, because he’s a guy. It’s not in their nature to stay at home all day, right? Let them go out and have fun with friends.
- If a girl has a boyfriend: THAT SLUT! OFF WITH HER HEAD! WHAT WILL PEOPLE THINK, YOU WHORE!
- If a boy has a girlfriend: It’s okay, because he’s a guy. And all guys fool around, right?
- If a girl wants to work after she graduates: WHAT WILL PEOPLE THINK?! It’s the highest form of shame. Independence= immorality. And so, we won’t let you become immoral.
- If a guy wants to work after he graduates: It’s okay, because he’s a guy. And all guys have to become independent and stand on their own feet, right?
- If a girl is getting her post-grad degree: Master’s?! She must be so OLD!
- If a guy is getting his post-grad degree: It’s okay, because he’s a guy. Even a Master’s degree is not enough for him. Go further, son. Go further!
- If a girl wants to eat what she wants to: STOP EATING, YOU WILL GET FAT! DIET, DIET!
- If a guy wants to eat what he wants to: It’s okay, because he’s a guy. Here. Have the whole world. You can eat as much as you want, because guys have to be strong and they need all the nutrients and proteins and vitamins, and they will have to start and support their families one day.
- If a girl is fat: You are ugly. Nobody will marry you. You should die.
- If a guy is fat: It’s okay, because he’s a guy. His weight doesn’t matter.
- If a girl is tall: WHY ARE YOU SO TALL? It will be so hard finding a tall husband for you. Pfffft!
- If a guy is tall: It’s okay, because he’s a guy. Tall guys are hot, duh.
- If a baby girl is born: Oh, a girl? Well. Why couldn’t it be a boy?
- If a baby boy is born: THANK GOD! WE ARE SO BLESSED, SO HAPPY!